Archlinux Installation with Raid
I will show Archlinux installation with the following environment.
- GPT is a standard for the layout of the partition table on a physical hard disk. And you can find the introduction in wiki
- The first, you must download the live CD, and you can find it in official website. I choose nctu mirror in Taiwan. [download link 2014.08.01] And then let computer or VM select CD as its first boot-device.
Set up the sshd to make it easy to install
- Here, I use static and private IP.
- If there is not static IP, you just use DHCP, and need to get its IP for ssh.
- Or, you can go next step, and type command line in front of PC(VM).
- Then, you can use shell on linux workstation or use putty on windows to remotely login PC.
Hard disk partition
- You can use 'cgdisk' to create GPT partitions with description.
- But I use 'gdisk' here
- Then,copy partition table to /dev/sdb
- refer Archlinux wiki Raid page.
- use mdadm to do software RAID. And I will make / and /boot do RAID1(mirror) in order to backup data.
- use 'cat /proc/mdstat' to check out progress of mdadm.
Create filesystems and install base system
- You can add mirror location or change the order in '/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist', if you need.
- Here, I set 'Server = http://linux.cs.nctu.edu.tw/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch' (NCTU mirror) to first.
Initially set system profile
Install and configure a bootloader
- Install 'Grub' to system, and seting boot option.
Success and reboot system
- You can 'ssh' immediate, if no any problem.
- May be, you need to delete 'know_hosts' in your ssh profile, if you install with 'ssh'.
- May be, your system have some problem such as network profile wrong, sshd not running, or /etc/fstab not correct, etc.
My common pogram list
-Just, for reference.
Notice: need to set up NTP
- Help of NCTU CSCC which is a place to pursue my studies.
- Archlinux Installation Guide
- [Archlinux Beginners Guide-fstab]:(https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide')
- [Archlinux wiki fstab]:https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fstab
Article update information
- 2014/8/21 finish process of installation
- 2014/8/15 update
- 2014/8/15 Begin writing this Article.
- 2016/4/17 Add ntp set up